John Scott is a senior partner at Starnes Davis Florie and has served as a member of the firm’s Executive Committee. He has been named as one of the top attorneys in Alabama by Mid-South Super Lawyers® and is included in Best Lawyers in America®.
John's practice is primarily devoted to complex civil litigation and arbitration involving contractual and other commercial disputes, financial services claims, accounting practice claims, estate and trust litigation, insurance service and sales claims, and securities disputes, as well as products liability claims. He has over 35 years of litigation experience representing a wide variety of parties in complex commercial as well as personal injury matters. He has also served as a mediator in civil cases and as a neutral arbitrator on the panel of commercial arbitrators for the American Arbitration Association in numerous arbitrations and has been approved as a FINRA Dispute Resolution Arbitrator.
* Successfully defended a regional bank in a non-jury trial involving claims of misappropriation of funds in certificates of deposit accounts.
* Obtained a jury verdict in favor of a regional bank on all claims in a case alleging negligence or wantonness in allowing monies to be withdrawn from an equity line account of the plaintiff by their son, resulting in damages and alleging invasion of privacy due to numerous collection calls from the defendant, bank, to the borrower's home.
* Obtained a jury verdict in excess of $800,000 in favor of a mortgage loan broker against a former manager/employee.
* Obtained FINRA arbitration award in excess of $100,000 and injunctive relief arising out of misappropriation of customer information by securities broker.
* Successfully defended claims against a local state bank involving checking account forgery.
* Obtained an arbitration award in excess of $300,000 in favor of a mortgage loan broker against a former manager/employee.
* Has successfully represented lenders and mortgage loan brokers in a number of complex cases, including putative class actions, involving claims under the Truth-in-Lending Act, Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act and other federal statutes and state common law.
* Has successfully represented a manufacturer of tubing in products liability litigation with a Turkish radiator manufacturer.
Speeches And Publications
John spoke on the topic of Representing the Despised Defendant--Lessons Learned, at the FDCC Winter Meeting - Trial Masters Series Plenary Program Marco Island, FL , March 15, 2014.
John spoke on the topic of Recovery of Mental Anguish Damages in Alabama, at the Tort Law Seminar - Presented by Alabama Law Weekly in Birmingham, Alabama, September 13, 2013.
John has authored an article published in the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel Quarterly, Vol. 63, No. 2 (Winter 2013), entitled "Mortgage Lending Reform Under the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act."
John has also co-authored an article published in the Cumberland Law Review, Vol. 38, No. 3 (2007-2008), entitled “A Practitioner’s Guide to Recovery of Mental Anguish/Emotional Distress Damages in Alabama.”
He has also served as a lecturer on numerous occasions in seminars conducted by the Alabama Bar Institute for Continuing Legal Education and in programs presented before the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel. John has also served as a faculty member of the Alabama Defense Lawyers Trial Academy.
Woods v. SunTrust Bank,
81 So. 3d 357 (Ala. Civ. App. 2011)
Ronald Cottrell, et al v. NCAA, et al,
975 So. 2d 306 (Ala. 2007)
Gloor v. BancorpSouth,
925 So. 2d 984 (Ala.Civ.App. 2005)
Greenbrier Village, L.L.C. v. City of Mountain Brook,
345 F.3d 1258 (11th Cir. 2003)
Bronson & Migliaccio, LLP v. Kinsey,
228 F.Supp. 2d 1315 (N.D. Ala. 2002)
Eastside Development, Inc. v. Medical Plaza East, POB, LLC,
852 So. 2d 96 (Ala. 2002)
Brooks v. J.C. Penney Life Insurance Co.,
231 F.Supp. 2d 1136 (N.D. Ala. 2002)
Russell Corp. v. Sullivan,
790 So. 2d 940 (Ala. 2001)
NationsBanc Investments, Inc. v. Paramore,
736 So. 2d 589 (Ala. 1999)
Skyline Steel Corp. v. RDI/Caesars Riverboat Casino, LLC,
44 F.Supp. 2d 1337 (N.D. Ala. 1999)
Ex parte Russell Corp.,
703 So. 2d 953 (Ala. 1997)
Johnson v. Alabama Power Co.,
664 So. 2d 877 (Ala. 1995)
Ex parte Day,
611 So. 2d 230 (Ala. 1992)
Taffet v. Southern Co.,
967 F.2d 1483 (11th Cir. 1992)
Central Bancshares of the South, Inc. v. Puckett,
584 So. 2d 829 (Ala. 1991)
Alabama Power Co. v. Smith.
575 So. 2d 1084 (Ala. 1991)
Campbell v. Alabama Power Co.,
567 So. 2d 1222 (Ala. 1990)
McElrath v. Alabama Power Co.,
554 So. 2d 994 (Ala. 1989)
Alabama Power Co. v. Wallace,
548 So. 2d 1372 (Ala. 1989)
State of Ala. v. U.S. E.P.A.,
711 F.Supp. 574 (M.D. Ala. 1988)
Riverchase Homeowners Protective Ass’n, Inc. v. City of Hoover,
531 So. 2d 645 (Ala. 1988)
Ex parte Thomson McKinnon Securities, Inc.,
517 So. 2d 614 (Ala. 1987)
Terry Properties, Inc. v. Standard Oil Co. (Ind.),
799 F.2d 1523 (11th Cir. 1986)
Ramer v. City of Hoover,
437 So. 2d 455 (Ala. 1983)