Mike's practice has been dedicated to civil litigation, including matters involving professional medical liability, product liability, pharmaceutical liability, medical device, intellectual property, aviation, railroad, fraud, securities and corporate litigation. Described in Chambers 2008 as "utterly outstanding," Mike has tried over 175 complex civil cases to jury verdict, throughout the State of Alabama and the southeastern United States.
Best Lawyers, the oldest and most respected peer-review publication in the legal profession, has named Michael A. Florie as the “Birmingham Best Lawyers Medical Malpractice Lawyer of the Year” for 2010 and “Birmingham Best Lawyers Medical Malpractice Lawyer of the Year - Defendants” for 2012.
* Alabama trial counsel for Kohlberg, Kravis & Roberts (KKR) in private equity litigation involving subordinated notes and the leveraged recapitalization of Brunos, Inc.
* Alabama trial counsel for Walter Energy, Inc in pending class actions.
* Alabama trial counsel for Citigroup in FDIC litigation involving mortgage-backed securities.
* Alabama trial counsel for Eton Park Capital Management in hedge fund/private equity litigation involving Latin American energy assets.
* Obtained a defense verdict in behalf of an Emergency Medicine physician in a wrongful death case alleging failure to order CT scan to rule out impending aortic dissection.
* Obtained defense verdict in favor of an obstetrician in a case alleging misapplication of forceps resulting in parietal skull fracture, subdural and epidural hemorrhage, subsequent neurosurgery, and alleged permanent cognitive deficits.
* Obtained a defense verdict for two Obstetricians in a case alleging failure to timely diagnose preeclampsia, resulting in the complication of Purtscher's-Like Retinopathy and maternal blindness following cesarean section.
* Obtained dismissal without settlement of clients at the close of all evidence in a wrongful death case involving medication error that resulted in a verdict of $140 Million against co-defendants.
* Obtained a judgment as a matter of law at the close of evidence at trial on behalf of defendant obstetrician in a maternal/fetal death case.
* Obtained defense verdict for an anesthesiologist in a wrongful death case involving extubation of a 42 year old patient with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis and a difficult airway.
* Obtained defense verdict for a family practice physician in a case involving death of a 12 year-old girl from acute viral myocarditis.
* Obtained defense verdict for a pulmonary and critical care physician in a case alleging negligent evaluation and treatment of acute respiratory failure and hyperkalemia, resulting in death of the patient after transfer from another hospital.
* Obtained defense verdict for a family practice physician in a case alleging wrongful death of a patient due to over prescription of pain medication, resulting in death due to mixed drug intoxication.
* Obtained defense verdict for a pediatric anesthesiologist in a wrongful death case alleging negligent failure to recognize and treat malignant hyperthermia in a fourteen year old patient.
* Obtained defense verdict for a cardiologist in a case alleging negligent failure to diagnose coronary artery disease, resulting in death of a forty-three year old anesthesiologist.
* Obtained defense verdict for a neurosurgeon in a in a wrongful death action case involving rupture and hemorrhage of a cerebral aneurysm of the left internal carotid artery.
* Obtained defense verdict for an internal medicine physician in a case alleging improper discontinuation of a diuretic medication, resulting in acute pulmonary edema, brain damage and death of a 50 year old woman.
* Obtained defense verdict for an obstetrician in a case involving uterine rupture and permanent hypoxic brain injury during labor of a VBAC patient.
* Obtained defense verdict for a pediatric anesthesiologist in a brain injury and wrongful death case involving intubation and ventilation issues in a child with Goldenhar Syndrome.
* Obtained defense verdict for a cardiovascular and thoracic surgeon in a complex medical liability case involving coronary artery bypass surgery.
* Obtained defense verdict for an emergency room physician in a death case involving epiglottitis and cricothyrotomy.
* Obtained defense verdict for an ophthalmologist in a case involving a rare melanoma of the ciliary body of the eye.
* Obtained defense verdict for a surgeon in a death case involving complex lumbar interbody fusion spine surgery.
* Obtained defense verdict for a urologist in a case involving diagnosis of choriocarcinoma of the testicle.
* Obtained defense verdict for two vascular surgeons in a death case involving repair of an abdominal aortic aneurysm, including medical device issues for endograft design and development.
* Obtained defense verdict for an obstetrician in a case of maternal/twin death involving acute fatty liver of pregnancy.
* Obtained defense verdict for an obstetrician in a case involving disability from peripartum cardiomyopathy in a twin pregnancy.
Honors And Awards
Highly honored by his peers as a litigator, Mike was elected as a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers (ACTL) in 1997. He has been inducted as a Dipolmate of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) and previously served as President of the ABOTA Alabama Chapter.
Mike has been recognized as a top Litigator for the state of Alabama in the 2008 - 2017 editions of Chambers USA. He was named a "Litigation Star" for the state of Alabama in the 2008 - 2017 editions of Benchmark Litigation. Mike has been listed in Best Lawyers in America® for twenty-four consecutive years, 1993 - 2017, and has been named one of the top attorneys in the state of Alabama by Mid-South Super Lawyers® magazine, 2008 - 2016.
In addition, Mike has been named to "Who's Who in Health Care" for 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 by the Birmingham Business Journal, which recognized him as one of the top health care attorneys in Birmingham.
Kraselsky ex rel. Estate of Kraselsky v. Calderwood, -- So.3d --, 2014 WL 5311293 (Ala., October 17, 2014).
W.R. Huff Asset Management Co. v. Kohlberg, Kravis, Roberts, et al., 566 F. 3d 979 (11th Cir. 2009).
Ziade v. Koch, 952 So.2d 1072, Ala., 2006.
Prowell v. Children's Hospital of Alabama, 949 So.2d 117 2006 WL 1304917, Ala., May 12, 2006.
Taylor v. Smith, 892 So.2d 887, 2004 WL 473322, Ala., March 12, 2004.
Ex parte Owen, 860 So.2d 877, 2003 WL 1861029, Ala., April 11, 2003.
Ex parte Showers, 812 So.2d 277, 2001 WL 564290, Ala., May 25, 2001.
Cranman v. Maxwell, 792 So.2d 418, 2001 WL 499189, Ala.Civ.App., May 11, 2001.
Wilson v. Teng, 786 So.2d 485, 2000 WL 1801547, Ala., December 8, 2000.
Ex parte Cranman, 792 So.2d 392, 2000 WL 1728367, Ala., June 16, 2000.
Wells v. Storey, 792 So.2d 1034, 1999 WL 1065143, Ala., November 24, 1999.
Marsh v. Wenzel, 732 So.2d 985, 19998 WL 854801, Ala., December 11, 1998.
Cranman v. Maxwell, 792 So.2d 386, 1998 WL 263525, Ala.Civ.App., May 22, 1998.
Cessna Aircraft Co. v. Trzcinski, 682 So.2d 17, 1996 WL 390642, 65 USLW 2104, Ala., July 12, 1996.
Pope v. Elder, 671 So.2d 730, 1995 WL 705298, Ala.Civ.App. December 1, 1995.
McAfee By and Through McAfee v. Baptist Medical Center, 641 So.2d 265, 1994 WL 142401, Ala., April 22, 1994.
Campbell v. Williams, 638 So.2d 804, 1994 WL 46867, Ala., February 18, 1994.
Wright By and Through Wright v. Holy Name of Jesus Medical Center, 628 So.2d 510, 1993 WL 382974, Ala., October 1, 1993.
Clements v. Dr. John Alvan Stewart, P.C., 595 So.2d 858, 1992 WL 35396, Ala., February 28, 1992.
Smith v. Medical Center East, 585 So.2d 1325, 1991 WL 170850, Ala., August 16, 1991.
Hayes v. Brookwood Hosp., 572 So.2d 1251, 1990 WL 237216, Ala., December 14, 1990.
Roberts v. Hutchins, 572 So.2d 1231, 1990 WL 226820, 6 A.L.R. 5th 1085, Ala., December 7, 1990.
Vaughn By and Through Vaughn v. Griffith, 565 So.2d 75, 1990 WL 88932, Ala., April 27, 1990.
Seaboard System R.R., Inc. v. Coffee, 565 So.2d 35, 1990 WL 64930, Ala., March 30, 1990.
Coffee v. Seaboard System R.R., Inc., 507 So.2d 476, Ala. April 24, 1987.
Ex Parte Birmingham Southern R. Co., 473 So.2d 500, Ala., June 14, 1985.
Yawn v. Southern Ry. Co., 591 F.2d 312, 100 L.R.R.M. (BNA) 3025, 86 Lab.Cas. P11, 281, C.A.5, Ala., March 16, 1979.