Jordan W Gerheim
Jordan's practice is primarily devoted to civil litigation. He represents various national, regional, local and individual clients. Jordan specializes in several areas of law, including dram shop/liquor liability, construction, wrongful death, products liability, premises liability, insurance, workers' compensation defense, and directors and officers litigation, as well as business & contract litigation. He additionally provides general counsel to several regional and small business corporations. Jordan has also served as a registered Alabama Athlete Agent.
* Obtained summary judgment for a bar/restaurant/nightclub owner all claims – including claims of Liquor Liability/Dram Shop Act and Wrongful Death – stemming from a shooting at the nightclub. After approximately four years of litigation, extensive briefing by the parties, and lengthy oral arguments, the Jefferson County Circuit Court held, among other things, that the plaintiff did not present sufficient evidence to establish a genuine issue of material fact and dismissed all claims as a matter of law.
*Obtained a favorable opinion from the Supreme Court of Alabama reversing and remanding a trial court's denial of a client's request to compel arbitration of claims filed against his business in Baldwin County, Alabama.
*Successfully obtained order denying class certification attempt against popular community association and major tourist development in Northwest Florida. The Association was alleged to be responsible for class allegations relating to violations of the Florida Deceptive & Unfair Trade Practices Act.
* Obtained a complete summary judgment and dismissal for a national insurance provider in a suit brought under Alabama's Direct Action Statute involving novel issues and arguments under Alabama law. The judgment and dismissal were subsequently affirmed on appeal by the Alabama Supreme Court.
* Obtained defense verdict in favor of construction company and its principal owners in case pending in Mobile County, Alabama, arising out of allegations of negligence and breach of express and implied warranties. The Alabama Supreme Court affirmed the jury's verdict and dismissal on appeal.
* Obtained complete dismissal of national beverage manufacturer in a federal court personal injury and product liability action arising out of claims of injuries sustained as a result of defective product.
* Obtained summary judgment and complete dismissal of restaurant and catering company in Mobile County on claims based on premises liability and brought pursuant to Alabama's Dram Shop Act (liquor liability).
*Obtained complete dismissal of personal injury lawsuit against regional grocery store chain in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida. The District Court further awarded costs to be paid to the grocery store chain by the plaintiff.
* Successfully represented and defended a local politician after challenges to his eligibility and eventual election were made by opposing candidate under the Fair Campaign Practices Act. A complete dismissal of the challenges and a confirmation of the election results were obtained from the Circuit Court of Mobile, Alabama.
* Obtained summary judgment and complete dismissal for condominium association in a case filed in Baldwin County, Alabama, brought under Alabama's Uniform Condominium Act.
* Obtained complete dismissal of a personal injury action filed against a national grocery store chain filed in the Circuit Court of Coffee County (Elba), Alabama, on claims for negligence and wantonness related to a slip and fall incident.
* Successfully defended and obtained injunctive relief for Georgia car dealership against opposition's attempt to take possession and ownership of vehicle and property under Alabama's Abandoned Motor Vehicle Act.* Obtained summary judgment on behalf of Baldwin County, Alabama, condominium and its association from claims for negligence and wantonness arising out of an invitee's slip and fall on the premises.
* Successfully defended driver before a jury in Baldwin County, Alabama, against allegations of negligence and wantonness arising out of a motor vehicle accident.
* Successfully represented bar and restaurant in suit brought in Jefferson County, Alabama, arising out of claims alleged against it under Alabama's Dram Shop Act.
* Successfully defended and obtained injunctive relief for national rental company against opposition's attempt to take possession and ownership of vehicles and property under Alabama's Abandoned Motor Vehicle Act.
* Obtained summary judgment on behalf of national grocery store chain in case brought in Santa Rosa County, Florida, stemming from claims for negligence and wantonness arising out of a slip and fall incident in the store.
* Obtained complete dismissal on behalf of an automobile dealership and finance company in a personal injury action brought in Mobile County based on claims of negligence, negligent entrustment, and wantonness.
* Obtained summary judgment on behalf of plumbing company in Mobile County for claims of negligence, wantonness, and fraud.
Honors And Awards
In 2015, Jordan was selected by the Defense Research Institute (DRI) as one of twelve young lawyers from around the country to be sworn in, in person, as a new member of the bar of the U.S. Supreme Court in Washington, D.C. The swearing-in ceremony took place before all nine (9) justices, with Chief Justice Roberts granting the motion for Jordan's membership. He is an AV rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings.
Jordan obtained his Juris Doctorate from the University of Alabama School of Law. As a law student at Alabama, he served as Senior Editor of the Alabama Law Review, and was elected by his peers to the positions of President of the Bench and Bar Legal Honor Society, Associate Justice on the Student Honor Court, and Student Representative and Committee Chairperson of the Student Bar Association. Jordan also served as a research assistant for the Alabama Law Institute.
Prior to attending law school, Jordan accepted an academic and athletic scholarship to Gardner-Webb University in North Carolina. After his freshman year, Jordan transferred to the University of Georgia where he graduated cum laude carrying a double major in History and Sociology. While at UGA, Jordan earned a position on the Varsity baseball team and was recognized as a scholar-athlete in addition to being acknowledged by several academic and scholarship honor societies.
Speeches And Publications
* Fundamentals of Workers’ Compensation, Workers' Compensation CLE, Mobile, AL, (July 6, 2016).
* "Alabama Litigation Overview," Practical Law Litigation (Summer 2016).
* "Responding to a Complaint: Alabama Q&A," Practical Law Litigation (Summer 2015).
* "The Surety's Contractual Right of Indemnity", 26th Annual Southern Surety & Fidelity Claims Conference, Clearwater, Florida, April 2015.
* Pro Ami and Structured Settlements, Keynote Speaker, Mobile Legal Professionals Association, November 2012.
* "Insurers Beware: Defending Claims Under Alabama's Direct Action Statute," Alabama Defense Lawyers Association (ADLA) Journal, 2012 Spring Edition.
* “IF I ONLY KNEW THEN...: Suggestions for New Lawyers from Lessons Learned,” The Whisper by the Defense Research Institute (DRI), Vol. 8, Issue 1, January 2012.
* “Law School Initiative: Making the Most of Your Summer Clerkship: Tips on How to Be a Great Summer Associate,” The Whisper by the Defense Research Institute (DRI), November 2010.
Category 5 Management Group, LLC v. Nat'l Cas. Ins. Co, 480 Fed.Appx. 536 (11th Cir. 2012)
Taylor v. Piggly Wiggly of Bay Minette, Ala. 2012 WL 3555576 (S.D. Ala. 2012)